Monday, October 18, 2010

Thoughts on Week 5


Steelers

  • Big Ben made his much anticipated come back yesterday. He went 16/37 for 257 yards and finished with a 112.7 QB rating as the Steelers clobbered the Browns 28-10. It was great to hear the crowd cheer Ben when he came out onto the field. He looked a little rusty in the first half, but really opened up the offense in the second half. All in all, he had a great day.
  • Steelers Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians actually called more running plays than passing plays on Sunday. Let's see how often that happens this season.
  • James Harrison single handily knocked Browns wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi out of the game. Harrison was a raging beast on Sunday afternoon with 10 solo tackles and 1.5 sacks. It will be interesting to see if he receives a fine for the hit on Cribbs. Both hits were legal, but there was helmet to helmet contact with Cribbs.
  • Lawrence Timmons had 9 solo tackles, 2 sacks, and an interception. Just to give credit where it is due.
  • I was going to comment on all the pink I saw on the field yesterday. But then I read the post game analysis on Stillers.com this morning by Still Mill. I don't usually quote other bloggers, but I think he makes the point quite well: "OK, I tolerated the pink shoes, gloves, wrist bands, and jock straps a couple of weeks ago. We had to endure it again yesterday. I think the country is well aware of breast cancer, and this is a classic case of going to the well once too often. Enough, already. Once per season is more than enough to send the message. Beyond that, it becomes an absurd charade". - Still Mill. One of my best friends is a breast cancer survivor. I am a big supporter of the cause. And I think it is great that the NFL has become involved. But I agree with Still Mill, pink on a football field once a season is enough.

NFL

  • The Seahawks beat the Bears. The Rams beat the Chargers. Did anyone outside of a blinded by love Seahawks or Rams fan see either of these wins coming? This season is weird. I'll stick with the Bears, but Phil Rivers and the Chargers suck.
  • The Ravens lost to the Patriots, which is great for Steeler Nation. I just hate being put into a situation where I have to root for Tom Brady.
  • The 1-4 Cowboys are sitting at the bottom of the NFC Least. (snicker, snicker).
  • The Lions have covered the spread 3 out of the last 4 weeks. This team isn't as bad as Las Vegas thinks it is.
  • The Eagles are 4-2 with Vick coming back next week. Things in Philadelphia could get interesting over the next few weeks.

Quote of the Week: "I don't want to see anyone injured. But I am not opposed to hurting anyone. There's a difference. When you're injured, you can't play. But when you're hurt, you can shake it off and come back. I try to hurt people." - Steelers Linebacker James Harrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment